Thursday, September 23, 2010

Upcoming excitement

In a few weeks this will be turning into a travel blog, as my best friend and I leave on a month-long road trip across the country and back. We will be leaving Washington State and heading to the East Coast, before turning South and then returning to California. It's something that we always talked about as kids, and with my summer job coming to an end a few months before Bryce is due home from Afghanistan, this seemed like the perfect opportunity. It will be quite an adventure for two girls born and raised in Podunk, Washington. Oh! And did I mention that we are doing this all in less than a month?! Somewhere near 7,500 miles in less than a month; we must be crazy.


I cannot believe that we are leaving in less than two weeks! I brought out my suitcases today. I'll have room for a carry-on sized suitcase for the clothes that I'll need during the trip, and a larger suitcase to put in the trunk. Once I get to California, I won't be back up North until Christmas, so that suitcase has to be filled with anything I will need between now and then. Just looking at that small suitcase and I'm at a loss as to how a month's worth of clothes are going to fit in there.


We'll be alternating between staying with friends and family, campgrounds and hotels. I'm hoping that the majority of places will have internet and this will enable me to record our trip, both for posterity and for our family and friends back home to share in our adventure.


Other than that, I've been caught up in trying to find us a place to stay once we arrive in California. For me at least, housing paperwork seems far more complicated than it needs to be. I still haven't gotten used to doing these things alone, things that you should be doing with your significant other. At least I know he'll be doing his fair share when he comes home. :) Between trip-planning, filling out paperwork and crafting things for our house (assuming the paperwork is ever finished!) I've been pretty busy these last few weeks. But busy makes time fly, and I'm always up for that!

Oh, and for those of you who bake, I made cookies this week with my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe, but substituted 1/4 cup of Nutella for 1/4 cup of the peanut butter. As soon as I took the cookies out of the oven I used a measuring spoon to indent the cookies. Once they had cooled, I put Nutella into the indent with a hazelnut on top. :) They were a delicious way to mix up regular peanut butter cookies and a hit at the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment