Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day One - Spokane

What a great start to the trip!

We left home shortly after 9:00 this morning (our start time was delayed due to my frantically running through each room in the house to make sure I wasn't leaving anything) and headed into the Country Cafe to meet Jessica's sister and brother for breakfast. I'm a huge fan of their turkey sandwiches, so it was a sure way to start my day off right. :) On top of that, Jess volunteered to drive. Contrary to what would seem reasonable for a person taking a road trip, I don't really like driving.


As many times as I have driven past (and trust me, I have made this first drive a lot), I have never actually pulled off of the highway to see Multnomah Falls. It is huge! There wasn't too much water flowing yet, but the falls are so tall!

We chatted with some ladies who were on the last leg of a road trip from Minnesota; they were nice enough to take our picture in front of the falls.


From there, we didn't make another stop until Ritzville, Washington, to fill up on gas and clean the bugs off of the windshield. Here are some of the windmills along Highway 14 that help power the state.



It was weird driving through Cheney / Airway Heights and Fairchild, since a few short months ago these were my stomping grounds. It was great to see my friend Allison again and catch up, even though Jess and I missed seeing Abby by a few hours.  After showing Jess around base and stopping at the BX and Commisary to pick up a few things that I (inevitably) forgot, I introduced Allison and Jessica to the wonder that is the Rusty Moose Restaurant in Airway Heights. As always, their cheesy bread did not disappoint. :)

Now we are back at Allison's, regrouping and preparing to start another busy day bright and early tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment