Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day Twenty-Two - Poplar Bluff, Missouri

Today was as laid back as we had hoped. I only slept in until 8:30 or so, but went into the living room and flipped between watching CSI and cartoons (my favorites: Scooby Doo and Tom & Jerry) until Jess woke up shortly after noon. Then we showered and slowly got ready for the day before heading into town to get the oil changed on the car. My legs were still pretty sore (I believe from dancing in Nashville), so I dug out my Flexall (basically IcyHot) and boy did that make a difference. I shouldn’t have to whine about it at all tomorrow.

By the time we made it back to Jeri’s house, they were already back from St. Louis. We headed back into Bullwinkle's to see Keri Ann (the amazing bartender from the day before). After all, we are in Central Time and it was 5:00. She had made (and won) an informal bet on the football game the night before, and the funniest thing was when she told one of the regulars that his “Tony Homo lost the game for them last night.” Jeri, Jess and I couldn’t stop laughing at that one. I asked for a glass of water and Jessica requested a surprise so Keri Ann made us each a Grasshopper. I’m not sure what all goes into the drink, but it was a delicious, minty, creamy, green-colored concoction. She followed that up with a shot called a Caramel Apple. I thought it tasted similar to the drinks last night, just stronger, but they didn’t as much to Jess. Either way, the shot tasted just like the caramel apple suckers. During all of this we were picking out songs on the jukebox, with the help of a couple of middle-aged gentlemen from the next table over. We ended up with a eclectic mix of country, classic rock and pop (one of the men was a Katy Perry fan). Jess and I also each got a shotglass from Bullwinkle’s, and I’m pretty excited to add that to my (recently started) cup collection. I have a martini glass from the Hard Rock Cafe in Niagara, a pilsner glass from the National Mechanic in Philadelphia, two mason jar mugs from the Stage in Nashville and now a shotglass from Bullwinkle’s in Poplar Bluff. All places that we have had a memorable time at on this trip.


From there we headed to Kroger (I believe the Eastern/Midwestern substitute for Fred Meyers) to pick up some stuff for dinner. Jeri had offered to grill some steaks, so I bought the steaks and some corn on the cob. It was delicious! I am a huge steak-lover (how could anyone not be?) and this was very good. I haven’t had corn on the cob in a while, but it was the perfect complement.

After dinner we hung out with Ayden and Jeri’s mom before heading into Buffalo Wild Wings for karaoke. Jess and I didn’t brave the microphone, but Jeri is quite a good singer. Buffalo Wild Wings also makes quite a good Patron Mango Lemonade with (you guessed it) Patron, mango puree, lemonade and club soda. Jess got a Lemon Drop, but neither of us would recommend that. Her next drink was a Screwdriver, which apparently was pretty good. After Jeri had sung a couple of songs, we headed back out to Bullwinkle’s one last time before Jess and I leave town.

No comments:

Post a Comment